child and family resources

Report Child Abuse

  • If you suspect child abuse call your local Department of Human Resources or law enforcement agency
  • Department of Human Resources ¬ (DHR) Investigates reports of alleged child sexual abuse and takes appropriate action to protect the child if necessary.
  • Clarke Co. 251-275-7001
  • Washington Co. 251-847-6100
  • Choctaw Co. 205-459-9701

Police Emergency Number – An officer will make an initial report…911.

  • The business number of your local police department is listed in your local telephone book and is available through Directory Assistance.
  • You may also call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4ACHILD (800-422-4453)

Sexual Assault Response Center¬ Information

  • Provides advocacy, crisis intervention, referrals, and emotional support for child and adult victims and their families. The 24-Hour Crisis Line 1- 800-422-4453

National Runaway Hotline 24/7 

  • 1-800-621-4000

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

  • 1-800-273-8255

Other – Talk to School counselors, teachers, social workers, doctors, ministers, mental health professionals.

Resource Library

Families and children receiving services at the CAC are able to obtain educational, informational, and therapeutic materials from the CAC’s Resource Library. There are books available for caregivers to help them better understand and deal with the abuse of their child or teen and books for adults who may have experienced sexual abuse as a child.

There are age-appropriate books and booklets for children and teens on body safety and other topics relevant to growing up in today’s society. There are also pamphlets and brochures on various child abuse related topics to educate and inform the public on how to protect children from abuse. Information is disseminated to the public through community events and presentations and is available from the Resource Library upon request.